caravan motorhome convention

Help Centre

Welcome to our help centre where we’ll try to answer all of your questions. You can also phone us or email us with your enquiry. One of our trained advisers will be able to help you.

Do I need a special licence to tow a caravan?

If you passed your test before 1st January 1997 you will automatically have the B+E category entitlement on your licence, allowing you to drive car and caravan combinations up to 8,250kg, covering most conventional outfits.
If you passed your test after that date, you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg and tow a trailer up to 750kg behind it.

If you want to drive a larger outfit, you will need to pass an additional driving test to add the B+E category to your licence. You can find out more at